Eligibility for Teacher Training
What qualifications you need to train as a teacher:
- You need GCSE in English Language and Mathematics at grade 4/C and above (or equivalent)
- If you want to join our Primary programme you will also need grade 4/C and above in Science (or equivalent)
You will need to have gained the appropriate GCSE’s before you start the course. If you do not have GCSE’s English, Maths or Science then you will be required to complete an equivalency test online. More information about equivalency testing can be found at https://www.equivalencytesting.com/. Please contact us if you have any questions about this aspect of your teacher training.
- You must hold a first degree from a United Kingdom higher education institution, or equivalent qualification. Note: A first degree comprises 300 HE credit points, of which 60 must be at level 6 of the QCF. Applicants with a foundation degree will need to supplement this qualification with at least 60 credits at level 6 (HE level 3) in order to attain an equivalent single qualification.
- If your qualifications were not gained in the UK, you can visit the National Academic Register Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are equivalent to UK GCSE’s and Degrees. You are required to check equivalency and must include a NARIC statement with your application verifying this.
- You are not required to have a degree in the subject you wish to teach at Secondary level. Our secondary course is 11-18 years and for Business Studies 14-19 years. It is important however, that we feel with training that you would meet the subject criteria within the Teachers’ Standards. Part of our offer may include us asking you to attend a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course. We can advise you how to access these as part of a conditional offer.
- At primary, a specialist subject is not required. Our course covers the age range of 5 – 11 years.
- Fundamental Skills in Literacy and Numeracy - As a provider of initial teacher training, we have to assess your competency in Literacy and Numeracy. We provide guidance and opportunities on the course for you to demonstrate your skills in Literacy and Numeracy.
In addition to your qualifications we will also consider the following during selection and induction:
- Your references which must include a statement from your referee that they ‘know of no reason why you should not work with children’.
- Any prior experience you may have working with children. While prior experience of working with children is not a requirement for applying for teaching, any experience that you may have had, for example working with children in a club, would be useful to mention in an application.
- Your employment history – where applicable
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check before commencing training. In addition, we will check against the Children’s Barred List. For Primary teachers we will also consider association issues. (if you live with someone who has a criminal record or is on the sex offenders list). If you are a PGTA trainee your employing school will arrange this and will inform us that the checks have been made.
- Evidence of you being flexible, resourceful, and resilient.
- We promote Equality of Opportunity as a provider.
The Department of Education's website https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ will also provide you with more information and guidance about how to write an application and you can also find more information about the different phases, primary or secondary that are of interest to you.
Once we receive your application via Apply we will review it and invite you to interview. We like to host group interviews at one of our Partner schools.
The day starts with a presentation from us, as we believe that the day if just as much for you as it is for us. You will be asked to complete a task to the group which should last a maximum of 10 minutes, we will then ask you questions and score these against our criteria in a one-on-one interview. You will be fully briefed on the task beforehand in an email following your application.
If interviews are not hosted at a Partner School, they will be hosted at City College Norwich, Ipswich Road or virtually. We will let you know on the Apply site within 48 hours of our decision.