Eligibility for Teacher Training
What qualifications you need to train as a teacher:
- You need GCSE in English Language and Mathematics at grade 4/C and above (or equivalent)
- If you want to join our Primary programme you will also need grade 4/C and above in Science (or equivalent)
You will need to have gained the appropriate GCSE’s before you start the course. If you do not have GCSE’s English, Maths or Science then you can complete an equivalency test online. We will advise you about this once we have interviewed you and it will be a conditional part of us accepting you on the course.
- A UK first degree (or equivalent) with 360 CAT points, 60 at level 6)
- If your qualifications were not gained in the UK, you can visit the National Academic Register Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are equivalent to UK GCSE’s and Degrees. You are required to check equivalency and must include a NARIC statement with your application verifying this.
- You are not required to have a degree in the subject you wish to study at Secondary level. Our secondary course is 11-18 years and for Business Studies 14-19 years. It is important however, that we feel with training that you would meet the subject criteria within the Teachers’ Standards. Part of our offer may include us asking you to attend a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course. We can advise you how to access these as part of a conditional offer.
- At primary, a specialist subject is not required. Our course covers the age range of 5 – 11 years.
- For both secondary and primary courses we expect good and accurate use of spoken and written English and Fundamental skills in Literacy and Numeracy. We will assess your competency in these areas as part of your application and Induction and if needed provide support about how they can be improved.
In addition to your qualifications we will also consider the following during selection and induction:
- Your references which must include a statement from your referee that they ‘know of no reason why you should not work with children’.
- Any prior experience you may have working with children. You may find it helpful to gain school experience to prepare for your application and/or interview to one of our programmes. Please note that any experience of working with children in a voluntary context or in any out of school activities e.g. sports coaching or clubs can also be very valuable.
- Your employment history – where applicable
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check before commencing training. In addition, we will check against the Children’s Barred List. For Primary teachers we will also consider association issues. (if you live with someone who has a criminal record or is on the sex offenders list). If you are a PGTA trainee your employing school will arrange this and will inform us that the checks have been made.
- Evidence of you being flexible, resourceful, and resilient.
- We promote Equality of Opportunity as a provider.
The Department of Education's website https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ will also provide you with more information and guidance about how to write an application and you can also find more information about the different phases, primary or secondary that are of interest to you.
Due to Covid-19 our interviews have been carried out virtually. Once your references and application are complete on UCAS we can see your application. We will invite you to an interview. You will be asked to complete a task which should last a maximum of 10 minutes. We will then ask you questions and score these against our criteria. We will let you know on the UCAS site within 48 hours of our decision.
We have further information available and are happy to chat if you need advice. Email us at enquiriesNTTC@ccn.ac.uk