Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
NTTC believes that diversity is natural and equality is right and that equality, diversity and inclusion are everyone’s responsibility. NTTC intends to lead by example on equality and diversity by being pro-active, practical and positive.
We promote equality because we know it’s the right thing to do.
Research shows that more equal societies are better for everyone (www.equalitytrust.org.uk). Equality is about being valued for who and what we are. This helps us to achieve our best without unfair obstacles, stigma or stereotyping, or being restricted by anyone’s expectations of our ability.
In practice, equality means three things for all of us:
- Being able to get to, in to and around our sites and complete the learning journey, with equal ease and dignity.
- Having a sense of belonging and well-being.
- Feeling the place, the programmes and the policies have been designed with us all in mind.
We value diversity because it makes our organisations more creative places to learn and work.
We celebrate the fact that our students and staff, are from different social and ethnic backgrounds; women, men and transgender; black and white; of all ages, cultures and faiths; lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and straight; disabled and non-disabled; from nearby and further afield.
We know that diverse teams make better decisions, and diverse classrooms produce richer
learning. Diverse groups are much more likely to be more in tune with reality.
In practice, this means:
- Seeing and hearing people like ourselves around, as learners and staff, so that our organisations mirror the diversity of society.
- Listening to different points of view to improve how we run our organisations.
- Valuing our differences as well as the things we have in common.
NTTC is part of City College Norwich and the TEN Group and we follow it's Equality and Diversity Policy in all aspects of our work, from the recruitment of trainees and staff to our day-to-day teacher training practice.